- Mar 22 2012 New Advanced Soccer Stats Site - "Ok, I know this is off-topic, but I've been talking to a guy at work about Barcelona soccer and I decided to get back to running some soccer stats. Here's a link to the new stats site, at..."
- Mar 25 2011 Sabermetric Soccer - You think the knuckle-draggers are bad in other sports? Read the comments on this one..."
- Oct 25 2010 Best Epl Shooters - "Pure toy here: 2006-2009, players with 100+ shots from open plays (excluding penalties, free kicks and fast breaks). This table gives the number of goals scored, and the number scored above..."
- Oct 4 2010 Epl Persistence Of Possession - "In our NHL analysis, we spend a lot of time looking at shot ratios (Corsi, Fenwick, etc...) as a proxy for puck possession or offensive zone time. These are fairly consistent quantities from..."
- Sep 25 2010 How Unlucky Is Everton - "In terms of ball possession when the game is tied, Everton is 4th in the English Premier League. But somehow, they're in last place in the table, with zero wins in six games. What's going on?"
- Aug 15 2010 Epl Week 1 Territory Data - "Nine of the weekend's first ten games have been played, with only one upset so far (Everton losing to Blackburn Rovers.)"
- Aug 13 2010 Epl How Controlling Territory - Here's the main reason why I stress the importance of controlling territory in soccer. Territory percentage is essentially a measure of where a team has the ball - it takes the number of completed..."
- Aug 13 2010 More Soccer Passing Analysis - great stuff here - looks like somebody else found a good use for all the data out there."
- Aug 10 2010 English Premier League Home Road - "You'll have to take my word for it for the moment, but one of the best indicators of a team's ability is the percentage of territory that it owned on the road with the score tied. What do I mean..."
- Jul 12 2010 World Cup Spains Road To Victory - "Spain displayed a surprising level of dominance throughout the World Cup. Whereas other teams might periodically not dominate possession from the moment the game started, the Spaniards never..."
- Jul 12 2010 World Cup Final Card Summary - "Overall, there were 270 cards handed out over 64 games:"
- Jul 11 2010 Soccer Mourinho On Ball Possession - "In the comments on my World Cup final piece, someone mentioned Mourinho's comments on ball possession. After a ridiculous pair of games where Mourinho's Inter beat Barcelona on aggregate 3:2, he..."
- Jul 11 2010 World Cup Final Spain Vs Holland - "Spain have had about 72% of the passing in the tournament so far, with a tournament low of 57% against Germany. Today they went back to their normal levels, dominating Holland and controlling 70%..."
- Jul 10 2010 World Cup Some Final Thoughts On - "One statistic you often see quoted during a soccer game is the percentage of time that each team had possession of the ball. Clearly, having the ball is very important; any coach will tell you..."
- Jul 10 2010 World Cup Uruguay Vs Germany - "Uruguay played a better game against the Germans than we're used to seeing - they actually controlled over 40% of ball possession, compared to barely 30% when they were tied with the Dutch. Germany..."
- Jul 9 2010 Soccer Penalty Kick Percentage - "Not surprisingly, penalty kick percentage varies very little across leagues:"
- Jul 7 2010 World Cup Spain Vs Germany Passing - More analysis later - I wanted to get the passing table up as quickly as possible. This table is from Spain's perspective - they controlled 64% of passing and 70% of territory when the game was..."
- Jul 6 2010 World Cup Semi Final Preview - "One of the most interesting aspects of the World Cup so far is how quickly Germany has scored - they've spent just 27% of their game time tied, compared to much more for the other three remaining..."
- Jul 6 2010 World Cup Holland Uruguay Passing - The passing stats from Holland's perspective show a team that dominated the Uruguayans when the game was on the line:"
- Jul 4 2010 World Cup Spain Paraguay Passing - "Spain may not yet have had Germany's finish, but they have an ability to control ball possession that borders on the ridiculous. Against Paraguay, they controlled more than 3/4 of the overall..."
- Jul 3 2010 World Cup Germany Argentina - "Well, that was an ugly outcome for the Argentines - Germany's 4-0 win was the largest margin of victory in a quarterfinal match since the World Cup went to its current format in 1986. The passing..."
- Jul 2 2010 Soccer Score Effects On - You might be wondering why I focus so much on whether teams dominate passing when the score is tied (or within one goal.) This data from the English Premier League shows the percentage of total..."
- Jul 2 2010 World Cup How Holland Won - "This was a strange game, really. If we divide it into four parts:"
- Jul 2 2010 Soccer Analysis Summary On Behind - I've written a bunch of content over the last couple of weeks and it's probably a bit much to find what you're looking for in the midst of it. So this is an attempt to organize and highlight the..."
- Jul 2 2010 World Cup Uruguay Ghana - "There isn't much to say about the outcome of this game: after over two hours of play, almost all of which was tied, it went to coin tosses, and the Ghanians flipped tails a few more times than we..."
- Jun 30 2010 World Cup Round Of 16 Passing And - "As I've mentioned before, the most critical part of a soccer game is when the score is tied - it's then that we can evaluate which team truly controlled the play. A good way to determine who..."
- Jun 30 2010 Fascism Breeds World Cup Wins - "I'm going to have to disagree on this one. What breeds world cup wins is playing close to home (or to your home time zone). When the World Cup is held in the Americas, a team from the Americas..."
- Jun 28 2010 Soccer Value Of A Throw In - "Previously, I looked at the value of corner kicks and goal kicks in terms of generating shots on goal. I wanted to do the same thing for throw-ins. While corners and goal kicks are..."
- Jun 27 2010 World Cup Red And Yellow Cards - We've had 204 cards through the first 50 games - an average of 3.96 yellows and 0.12 reds per game. You're probably wondering how it's possible to get a yellow card for excessive celebration - New..."
- Jun 27 2010 World Cup Passing Stats For - "We saw a 4-1 game and a 3-1 game today, but they couldn't have been played any differently. First, because Argentina and Germany built up big leads, we'd expect possession and passing to be in..."
- Jun 26 2010 Uruguay South Korea Passing By - "According to the game stats, South Korea had 60% of the possession in this game. We see the same split in the passing data, both in raw completed passes and location-weighted passes:"
- Jun 26 2010 Soccer Quantified - "I would be remiss if I didn't link to the amazing blog, Soccer Quantified. Great stats there and much more accessible than the stuff I write!"
- Jun 26 2010 Usa Ghana Passing Stats - "Officially, the US had 51% of the ball possession in this game, but nothing could be more misleading. We essentially saw the US play from behind for an hour, followed by 35 minutes where Ghana..."
- Jun 25 2010 World Cup Group E Passing And - "Aside from a slightly higher shooting percentage, Group E doesn't stand out from the rest of the World Cup games:"
- Jun 25 2010 World Cup Group G Passing And - "This was a higher-event group than most we've seen so far, but without Portugal's 7-0 drubbing of North Korea, the overall shooting percentage would have been the lowest of the seven completed..."
- Jun 25 2010 World Cup Group H Passing And - "
- Jun 25 2010 World Cup Day 1 Quarter Final - "
- Jun 25 2010 World Cup Winners Vs Losers - "34 of 48 Group Play matches ended with a win, and the winning teams enjoyed an advantage in most game-level statistics:"
- Jun 25 2010 World Cup Quarterfinalist Passing - "
- Jun 24 2010 World Cup Group D Passing And - "Group D had quite a bit more ball movement than the other groups, and more shots on goal, but ultimately no more goals than the cup-wide average:"
- Jun 24 2010 World Cup Group A D Passing And - "Group D is the only group that stands out in terms of passing totals, while Group B had the highest shooting percentage:"
- Jun 24 2010 World Cup Group F Passing And - "Group F featured much lower-event play than any of the other groups so far, setting lows in both passes per game and shots per game. But with a very high shooting percentage, the goal-scoring rate..."
- Jun 23 2010 Soccer Value Of Corner And Goal - "How much are corner kicks and goal kicks worth to a team over the course of a season? In the English Premier League, there are approximately 30 such plays per game between both teams:"
- Jun 23 2010 World Cup Group A Passing And - Group A featured the same kind of play as the tournament overall:"
- Jun 23 2010 World Cup Group B Passing And - "Group B featured the same passing levels as the tournament as a whole, but had a lot more goals, primarily thanks to Argentina's dominance of its opponents:"
- Jun 23 2010 World Cup Group C Passing And - "Group C had slightly less passing than the World Cup as a whole has had, and about five fewer goals:"
- Jun 23 2010 Soccer Analysis Open Thread - I've received various requests for analysis through my various soccer posts over the last couple of weeks and I wanted to consolidate them there. Questions so far:"
- Jun 22 2010 World Cup Are Scoring Levels - "Much has been made of the precipitous drop in World Cup scoring over the first 32 games in South Africa. Since the World Cup expanded to 32 teams in 1998, the average number of goals scored per..."
- Jun 22 2010 World Cup Who Beat North Korea - "It has to be Portugal, right? After all, how does a 7-0 win compare to a 2-1 win? Well, as we've seen before, gameplay tends to change quite significantly depending on the score. But we can..."
- Jun 22 2010 World Cup Biggest Margins Of - "Portugal's 7-0 victory over North Korea yesterday is hardly unprecedented in World Cup history. In fact, many teams that we don't associate with getting blown out have been beaten by 5+ goals. ..."
- Jun 22 2010 Soccer Analysis Summary - I've written a bunch of content over the last couple of weeks and it's probably a bit much to find what you're looking for in the midst of it. So this is an attempt to organize and highlight the..."
- Jun 21 2010 Soccer Just How Damaging Is It To - "We know that it's difficult to play a man down, but what exact impact does it have on a team's ability to score and prevent goals? I went through four seasons of English Premier League games and..."
- Jun 20 2010 Soccer How Does Game Level Passing - "I've posted some tables of total passes in world cup games so far, but I'm sure many of you are left wondering what they mean. After all, teams can work the ball around in their own zone, or in..."
- Jun 20 2010 World Cup Weighted Pass Percentage - "Earlier, I discussed the concept of weighted pass percentage in soccer. What this involves is weighting all passes completed in a game by the likelihood of completing a pass at that location on..."
- Jun 20 2010 World Cup Ten Longest Goals Thus - Only 10 out of 57 goals have been scored from 18 yards away from the goal or further:"
- Jun 20 2010 World Cup Brazil Vs Cote Divoire - "One way to evaluate playmaking in soccer is to look at the difficulty of the passes that a player completes. For an individual pass, we can calculate the likelihood that it was completed based on..."
- Jun 19 2010 Soccer Passing Location Data - "It should come as no surprise where passes originate in soccer. From the chart below, you can see the following:"
- Jun 17 2010 Soccer Shooting Percentage By - "It should come as no surprise that a shot on goal is much more likely to go in if you pick the corners, particularly the top ones:"
- Jun 17 2010 World Cup Passing Through 6 16 - Here's a summary of passing in games that didn't end in a tie so far:"
- Jun 16 2010 Distribution Of Goal Distances And - "Every once in a while, you'll see a ridiculous goal, for example, Spurs keeper Paul Robinson scoring from 80 yards out or Xabier Alonso fooling the goalie from 60. But such achievements are few..."
- Jun 15 2010 World Cup Passing Stats Through 6 - Here are the passing statistics for games through 6/14:"
- Jun 15 2010 English Premier League Penalty - Penalty kick stats for the EPL this season:"
- Jun 15 2010 Longest Goals In The English - "No, that's not a misprint - Maynor Figueroa really did score from 59 yards (video here). But without the element of surprise, shooting range barely extends beyond 30 yards - only 1.4% of all goals..."
- Jun 14 2010 English Premier League Territory - "I wondered earlier if team territory percentage was a significant predictor of winning percentage - obviously, it should be, but there's no guarantee that the data is collected correctly. At any..."
- Jun 13 2010 Score Effects In The English - "I'm guessing that most people coming to this blog are familiar with SB Nation's soccer coverage, but if you're not, I invite you to take a look at the main soccer page. SBN has six sites devoted..."
- Jun 13 2010 Leverage And Timely Goals In Soccer - "I'm guessing that most people coming to this blog are familiar with SB Nation's soccer coverage, but if you're not, I invite you to take a look at the main soccer page. SBN has six sites..."
- Jun 13 2010 June 13 World Cup Expected Goals - Slightly different results today: Slovenia pulls off a win thanks to weak goaltending despite not really getting close to the net during the game; Germany runs up the score on Australia; and Ghana..."
- Jun 13 2010 World Cup Closest Positioning To - "We have some location data for where players play - in particular, we can see where a player is on the field, on average. These are the 10 players who've played closest to the goal in games thus..."
- Jun 13 2010 World Cup Team Territory Percentage - "Our stats feed reports the relative territorial ownership by each team in each game. It seems to roughly match up with what I watched, but I can't say that I watched closely enough to say that..."
- Jun 12 2010 Soccer Shot Location And Shooting - "With the NHL season over, I have to find something else to do at least until free agents start signing. Thankfully, the World Cup is on, and soccer presents us with a ton of data to analyze."
- Jun 12 2010 Fifa World Cup Expected Goals In - "If we take the shots taken in the games so far and add up the expected shooting percentage based on their locations, we can come up with an estimate of how many goals each team should have scored."
Recent Blog Posts
Wondering about Donating
to Behind the Net?
Education in Need for El Salvador
Soccer content on Behindthenet.ca
Old Behind the Net Site Defense-Indepedent Goaltender Ratings (aka 'Shot Quality') Individual Shot Quality Data Team Fenwick Data by Score 2010-11 GVT NHL Offensive Statistics, 1967-2009 League-Wide Goals-per-Game, 1918-2004 Historical Assists-per-Goal, 1918-2004 Projecting the NHL Performance of Junior and Minor-League Players
Download Team Statistics (XLS) 2007-08 to 2010-11 Download Player 5v5 Statistics (XLS) 2007-08 to 2010-11 Download Player 5v4 Statistics (XLS) 2007-08 to 2010-11 Download Player 4v5 Statistics (XLS) 2007-08 to 2010-11 Download Individual Shooting 5v5 Statistics (XLS) 2007-08 to 2010-11 Download Goalie 5v5 Statistics (XLS) 2007-08 to 2010-11 Download Goalie 5v4 Statistics (XLS) 2007-08 to 2010-11 Download Goalie 4v5 Statistics (XLS) 2007-08 to 2010-11